The director of the upcoming Resident Evil film reboot was given the liberty to make no matter he needed, the movie studio’s CEO says.
Final 12 months it was confirmed that Zach Cregger, the writer-director behind the critically acclaimed horror film Barbarian and the lately launched Weapons, could be writing and directing a brand new Resident Evil film which can reboot the movie sequence.
Now, in an interview with Deadline, Constantin Movie CEO Oliver Berbin says Cregger was given “the carte blanche to do no matter he needed to do with that IP”.
“With Resident Evil, we’ve had an unbelievable journey with some of the profitable worldwide IPs of greater than a billion {dollars} in field workplace for a few years,” he defined, “and now we’re creating one thing new – not only a new story thought, however to permit a brand new era to take the IP into their very own arms and type one thing totally different.”
Elsewhere within the interview, Berbin says the subsequent Resident Evil film, which is deliberate for a cinema launch on September 18, is “distant from all the things that’s linked to Resident Evil, solely as a result of Zach Cregger has his personal type”.
He added: “We contemplate filmmakers as an IP. In addition to current videogame, ebook or comedian IPs, the most important inventive energy you may have is a triple-A filmmaker and a bundle that mixes these filmmakers with nice forged and nice concepts – that’s what we’re aiming for.”
Cregger’s earlier horror movies Barbarian and Weapons presently have Rotten Tomatoes scores of 92% and 93% respectively, that means Resident Evil and horror followers alike are excited in regards to the prospect of seeing Cregger’s tackle Capcom‘s sequence.
Final 12 months Cregger defined to Inverse that his movie received’t retell the tales from the video games however will as a substitute function new characters and inform a brand new story in the identical universe, including that in his eyes the tales of the video games have already been instructed properly sufficient.
“Let me say this – this isn’t breaking the principles of the video games,” Cregger stated in final 12 months’s intereview, insisting that the brand new film will nonetheless respect Resident Evil lore. “I’m the most important worshipper of the video games, so I’m telling a narrative that may be a love letter to the video games and follows the principles of the video games.
“It’s obedient to the lore of the video games, it’s only a totally different story. I’m not going to inform Leon’s story, as a result of Leon’s story is instructed within the video games. [Fans] have already got that.”
Cregger says that if any gamers had been hoping to see characters like Leon, Jill, Chris or Claire showing in his film, “they will play the sport” to see their tales.
